I wanted to compile a list of great cartoons for girls, so I started with the shows that I love. I drew up a list of guidelines to help narrow down the best of the best.
Best Cartoons for Girls 3 – Pure Badassery
Best Cartoons for Girls 4 – Diversity of the Female Experience
Best Cartoons for Girls 5 – Best of the Best
WHAT MAKES A CARTOON GOOD FOR GIRLS?
- The lady characters can’t be one-dimensional.
- Main target audience cannot be adults.
- The cartoon had to pass the Bechdel Test. I modified the Bechdel test to accomodade for some of non-movie formats. The conversations between female character have to occur at least twice in every season of a multi-season show, and the conversations can’t focus on ANY male character, or a ‘girl talk’ subject such as makeovers, identity crisis, or conflict resolution.
- The main female characters in the show can’t fall into any of the following categories: unwanted romantic pursuer, parent or guardian figure, extended family member, or foil of the male main characters.
- If a female lead is smarter or more talented than the rest of the cast, it can’t be partnered with the cynicism that it won’t get her anywhere.
- Sterotypical girly things such as depictions of ballet, cake-making and resolving conflict, should not take up more than half of the show.
- The concept of gender has to exist in the show – no all-girl casts or gender neutrality.
- The show or movie has to have quality that stand up over time.
- I can’t be the only person who likes it, cuz that’s just favoritism